50 First Dates Thanks to all, especially George Wing

hortonhcci posted on Jan 25, 2009 at 05:23AM
I just saw 50 First Dates on a Netflix rental. WOW. Very differrent from what I'd expected. A great job by all--Adam, Drew, Rob, Sean, Blake, Pomaika'i, Amy, Joe, Dan…the lot of ya. But thanks particularly to George for such a heartfelt, imaginative, and moving story. It's true I'm something of a sap, but something about this film kept getting to me--again and again and again. :o). You're not supposed to keep crying all the time during a romantic COMEDY, for crying out loud. Not when you're a male, anyway--even a sappy one.

I dunno why, but I really believed it. The premise is gimmicky, yup--but unlike Groundhog Day, where the Bill Murray character remembers each day (much to his dismay) and uses the obviously contrived situation to score some emotional and perhaps artistic points, this situation is just plausible enough that you can see it happening in the real world and imagine being one of the characters. And unlike Memento, which has the same premise but turns it into a fairly intellectually-centered psychological thriller, this one really explores the emotional implications of the situation without cheapening it or using it for laughs. (Of course there are some great quietly funny moments, as well, along with some where Adam will be Adam and Rob will be Rob, and you roll your eyes a bit but let it go because they probably need to be who they are to really tap into the deeper aspects of the premise and its implications while keeping it from being depressing or maudlin.)

Geez—I’m still feeling it. The amount of love and concern and empathy it would take to take care of her like that, and the sheer loyalty and persistence of Henry and Doug and Marlin in keeping it up day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year…that’s a depth of love that just scares you. There is no way I could ever do something like that, but I think I can at least understand what something like that would take. Getting your hopes up and falling in love over and over, only to lose the one you love EVERY SINGLE DAY… it’s just, well, awe-inspiring, the emotional fortitude that would take. And Lucy, as well—what strength to live through tremendous trauma and heartache day after day, and still have the courage to carry on and the wit to speak to herself and coach herself through her daily agony of self-loss and self-discovery. And the courage she has to open up to Henry and trust him, and herself, all in the course of 24 hours or so, KNOWING she’s going to have to start again from square one the very next morning. And then her great act of courage and sacrifice in letting Henry go, when he's become her rock...woof. And obviously, you all see that too, and it says a lot about your own understanding and experience of love and caring, not to mention some serious ensemble talent and dedication, to convey that to us in the audience. (And yes, I did catch the depth of the bond between Rob and Adam—the characters, of course, but also the actors. Really great work, Rob, again. Oh, and you too, Adam…)

How to explain my reactions? This one's a real sleeper, I think. Much like The Sure Thing, my (heretofore at least) favorite movie, this one takes its high-concept premise and formulaic storyline and really works with them. It respects those tools for the emotional power they pack, but is deft and sensitive enough to avoid cheap manipulation. It's a hard trick to pull off, and a gutsy move-- and you guys--all of you--did it very well indeed.

Congratulations again on this truly brilliant, as well as wise, moving, gentle, and deeply honest work of art (and gift of love). You put a lot of hard work and a lot of heart into it, and it shows. You've made the world a better place, and I thank you for it.

--Paul

50 First Dates No Antworten