Lost The BIG Question... (and vomit)

thecon posted on Jan 03, 2008 at 01:39PM
The big question is... how far into the future was that flashforward?

Years would mean that all would've calmed on the island (through death or mutiny, or whatever), and would make sense for Jack and Kate to get a normal life back, but a couple of weeks/months wouldn't be enough time for Jack and Kate to set up a normal life again, and find their place. Their celebrity, however short lived, would not be that short lived.

I think its taken me since the season finale to make sense of all this in my head, and I think I'm now piecing together the questions that I want answered, and what is the deal with this grandest of mysteries, and why it perplexes me so. I think the above question would go a long way to satisfy my hunger for answers... I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

There is obviously some kind of middle ground, but right now I'm in a bizarre state of mind where I'm almost worried about how they'll get back to the island and get the main events back into the present! Flashbacks have always been major story events, but the flash forwards arguably mean a great deal more in terms of the action on the island... it generates a sense of futility to the action on the island, destiny.

But perhaps in that sense the futile nature of what we are going to see on the island in season 4, and knowing what we know about the 'Oceanic 6', further establishes the debate that has run through this series... Destiny vs Free Will. We now know certain characters are destined to leave, or to stay, and we know this will happen. The only thing that will reverse this destiny, the inevitability, is for free will to take hold.

I feel like I've been vomiting words for a while... me rest now.

What do you think....?

Lost 2 Antworten

Click here to write a response...
Vor mehr als einem Jahr doonis said…
I'm guessing that the flash-forward took place about half a year later. It probably took the tankers a month or two to get them off, and then, for the next few months, Kate got back to a normal life and Jack went crazy. There was also some theory I heard, that Jack's phone in the flash-forward was a newer brand of phone, that wouldn't have come out before they were on the island. I'm not sure how recently it did come out, but I you researched this, you might have a clue.

I sort of agree with your destiny theory, but you could also argue that now that the flash-forwards have been shown, they are the present, and everything else is flashbacks leading to them getting off. Not really flashbacks like "oh, this is parallel to my old life so now i'll think about my past", more like all of the facts leading to a climactic middle point off getting off the island, where the opposite will then follow, and they'll try to get back. So in a way there are two stories going on: the getting off and the getting back.

Sorry for all that; I think I've word vomited as well.
last edited Vor mehr als einem Jahr
Vor mehr als einem Jahr thecon said…
Good points... which leads to another question... How long will they do the flash forwards for? Is it going to be a mainstay of Lost, or will there be a conclusion to the flash forward segments in the near future? (i.e. by the end of season 4 or 5)

I fear that only time has the answers to these questions.... and the key is patience. I hate patience.