Fanpop Cheating the Fanpop medal system

kathiria82 posted on Mar 12, 2008 at 04:28AM
I didn`t think this was a good soapbox topic but one good enough to post here. I`m so disgusted at how users have been earning medals by cheating. OMG you must be wondering what I`m talking about or why I would jump to such accusations. Well it`s not so hard to see that some people will add things to spots and then voila, it`s all rated by more than 1 fan in less than a day. At first I just let it go as fans finally rating but it`s getting so ridiculous. I know for a fact Fanpop is aware of this issue so it`s hilarious that users are so pathetic and still doing it. I will not name people because you know who you are. I really don`t appreciate it because when I create a spot I do rate everything people add. I don`t think it`s fair when users create 45676456 fake users in order to rate their own stuff. I wasn`t going to post this but I just noticed it on the Kristen Stewart spot which is a spot I created. A user on there has all their contributons rated by 4 or more fans and the things were just posted. How is it that only their stuff is rated and no one else`s? Smells like BS to me. I know we ALL enjoy earning medals so stop being so pathetic and at least tell your mom to join so she can rate your stuff not a ghost rater.
save

Fanpop 45 Antworten

Click here to write a response...
Vor mehr als einem Jahr Lila856 said…
I KNOW, what IS that! Some people are so desperate for medals, it sucks when someone who has added so much to a spot doesn`t have anything to show it w// but someone who adds like 20 pictures has a dedicated medal . I`m not naming names but honestly when all of ONE user`s icons are rated 5 by 4 fans within 10 minutes of being added, it IS BS lol
Vor mehr als einem Jahr Snerkie said…
It's also though how someone might complain that their stuff isn't being rated and people may just go through all their stuff without really looking at it and rating it 5 stars because they know the person is a good person...
Vor mehr als einem Jahr bvgf said…
It's hard to admit it but i did that before I saw this so I am deleting all the things to do with the things your saying. I guess we need real fans not fake fans otherwise it is not that great to have a fan in a spot you created,Image you you created,I am going through this crazy experience that makes me want to be a bit nicer on this website.It definatly has something to do with I,ve only created 2 fake fans but i will use them as emergancy profiles(Profiles used unless you can't log on because it does not but if i am banned or such I know not to use these)so if I post any messages are posted after this on such profiles.Current fake Profiles On the Genesis Spot are box28 and dfer(or somthing around those lines).

Note:I am Giving my friend a profile(box28) but he has every right to get me banned if he wants too.
last edited Vor mehr als einem Jahr
Vor mehr als einem Jahr PkmnTrainerJ said…
Why the need for fake profile bvgf?
Vor mehr als einem Jahr aholic said…
I don't understand those people, because that's not even fun earning medals like that, because then you actually did'nt. I just don't get why people use their time to rate their own stuff when people do it after a day or two anyway. I also once knew someone who did it, and he got banned. He was just a freak. Medals are supposed to make you proud of yourself, and not make you feel guilty.

I have also seen this is some spots. They are just stupid, because you can so totally see it.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr smoore23 said…
Yeah, good point, aholic. What's the fun in earning a medal when you're not actually earning it? Like you said, it will eventually get rated, so what's the rush?
Vor mehr als einem Jahr misanthrope86 said…
It think it is a really lame thing to do and I would personally never do it, but I do understand the frustration. I have uploaded heaps of stuff that gets viewed a lot but never rated. So I only have a medal in one spot that have contributed a lot to, but not as much as in other spots. Thats why I ALWAYS rate EVERYTHING I view.
So I definately agree with you. It is so lame to cheat on the system, especially when the rest of us are participating the honest way!
limited9906 commented…
It's true why would they cheat just try to earn it like all of us Vor mehr als einem Jahr
Vor mehr als einem Jahr ilovehinder said…
ive been trying to point this out but im too lazy to write another soapbox and after all the hate comments i got on my anti-hating article ive kinda given up on writing so thanx myra, for posting this.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr amazondebs said…
also i think people need to more aware of how their rating,
rating a medium quality picture with one keyword and no image credit a 5 is not right just because you like that particular shot or something, it takes people two seconds to upload loads of pictures like that especially when you can add them 10 at a time, and then they earn medals really quickly
compared to someone who spent ages naming things differently adding loads of keywords, correctly crediting or even taking the shots themselves
Vor mehr als einem Jahr germany123 said…
what debs said..
people have this default setting of giving 5 stars just because they like the user or show. Rating like that just makes the whole system pointless! Rating stuff helps other users determine the quality of the content. Thats it!
The medals are just a bonus...
I think that too many rate 5 stars all the time. I usually rate 4, only 5 if I really love it. But...the one who uploads the images can't do anything about it, because it's not them who rates. They just got to use the words(blah, okay, great ect.) and not the stars.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr Saul_Mikoliunas said…
I used to rate things a 5 if i liked them but about a month after i joined fanpop I realised that wasn't the right way to do it and I also mostly rate 4. However people rarely rate images so if the image has acceptable keywords and image credit it gets a five.
I also think that it is quite blatant, I mean I added a video to the one tree hill spot and it got rated 4 times but the one beneath me was 16 times and it wasn't any better than mine!
I'm not going to name names but there is one user in particular who has admited to having multiple accounts so why doesnt she get suspended?
Vor mehr als einem Jahr HannaK said…
I totally agree, I don't understand why people do that
Vor mehr als einem Jahr xsparklex said…
I 100% agree with you.I dont see the point in it..its utterly pathetic..if people want medals so bad..they should actually earn them..I actually noticed something similar with a user earlier..that had medals for spots like charmed etc but had only contributed literally 4 pictures!
I don't know who you talking about but if she gets suspended she'll just go on another account *sigh*
THIS IS TO CHEATERS:

If you really want your stuff rated, then put a link in to the VRSOF spot. I did it, and 9 people rated my videos! Don't get in trouble for doing something other people can do legally.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr ineedcoffee said…
I agree with aholic but don't beat up on those who ask people to rate either that is just not nice especially if they are only asking in there respective spots. I saw this in one of the forums and was turned off, some people called them cheaters at trying to get a medal because they asked people to rate.
I was'nt beating those up who asks. I ask them myself. I just think that the cheaters should ask them too instead of cheating.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr kathiria82 said…
People shouldn`t ask for ratings either in my opinion. Those people only post things to get medals and that`s not the point of Fanpop. I remember when I first joined this site and people posted things because they wanted to. Now people focus on earning medals so they don`t even pay attention to the quality of the content being posted.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr oblix said…
i had no idea people would go to that length to cheat.. Thats just low!

i agree with kathiria's last comment
There are many things about this site that people think others don`t notice. Some people just don`t care but I care about Fanpop. I don`t want it to turn into garbage like so many other sites have.
I could'nt agree more with the crappy sites, but I think it's okay if people want their content to be noticed if no one else has noticed it. I also think that it's annoying that no one in big spots like smallville rates, I can understand it in the smaller spots. That's why I think it is okay to ask, but of course the raters have to look at the content before they rate.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr harold said…
Having seen the occasional request for ratings (particularly in the VRSOF spot), I agree that it can come across as a little needy. But it isn't really gaming the system in the way that creating false accounts is. After all, inviting other users to rate content in no way means that the content will be rated well, if at all.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr ineedcoffee said…
actually it sometimes backfires on them which has happened to more than one user who may or may not like me now but I have said I will rate fair so if you link to vrsof then be warned I rate accordingly and I view everything on the site that you link me to, and if you didn't rate something on your on spot but left a comment on someone elses stuff,yet want us to rate you, then I will deduct one star. I know this sounds mean but come on it takes less time to rate than it does to write a comment.
It`s hilarious because the people who are always begging for ratings are the ones who don`t rate.
Yeah I think so too but there's still some that do both. I think I've been pretty good at rating.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr aleciane said…
kathiria82 said:
It`s hilarious because the people who are always begging for ratings are the ones who don`t rate.

ahhahahahhaha
(i think i know who that's about)
Vor mehr als einem Jahr adavila said…
It took me months to know what medals are and another month to know how to get them lol
lol me too adavilla i just thought it was something to show which spots i spent the most time in for everyone else

and yeah i always check to see if people asking for ratings actually rate themselfs, when somehas like 50 medals and has only rated 100 things, somethings wrong
Vor mehr als einem Jahr IsabellaAzuria said…
wow we have ghost accounts here?
Vor mehr als einem Jahr ay3 said…
huh??? thats how u get medals? by a couple of fakers rating things? like 4 rates on 5 things u added will get u a medal? i dont even CARE about medals i add stuff 2 any spot and thats dun. then i go comment and rate things 2 help ppl out but i never knew untill now WHY ratings r so important.... i just thought it was 4 ppl 2 find the best videos and stuff faster...
oh and thanx nessi 4 checking out the article!
Vor mehr als einem Jahr papa said…
coming up with some better ways to curb bad behavior/cheating is also on the "to do" list (we have a project scheduled after my updates goes up) to attend to some of these things.
I don`t think it`s fair how the cheaters get to keep all the medals. They should be banned off the site.
high five clarissa rules!
LMFAO *hi five* ClarissaRules!
Vor mehr als einem Jahr limited9906 said…
Actually my pictures get five rates in ten minutes it's not cuzz I'm cheating its cuzz my sisters in rl I have 5 sisters and they keep rating ma pics I told them not to so other ppl will but they just won't quit it!
Vor mehr als einem Jahr nikki8green6 said…
Some people have way too much spare time. Just finding and creating things to contribute to spots takes time and if you plan to upload to spots that you don't have a medal in or less than a red medal you can only upload 20 images at a time. It's quite time consuming to keep up 1 account.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr greenanon said…
So I recently joined fanpop and I noticed that a lot of users were complaining about medals and how they were being pushed down even though they word so hard. I looked into it and realized that a lot of users cheat. Example #1. The reason I chose them was because they asked a question in the fanpop club and asked 'What the f**k is happening?' Seriously thats the name of the question. Check it out.
link
I know this forum is old but its the only place on fanpop that bring light to this topic.
 So I recently joined Fanpop and I noticed that a lot of users were complaining about Medaillen and how t
nmdis commented…
Nice job Vor mehr als einem Jahr
Same user
 Same user
nmdis commented…
Maybe she asked peoples? Vor mehr als einem Jahr
I wonder if people know that you can see who fans things?
 I wonder if people know that Du can see who Fans things?
nmdis commented…
No Du can't see who Fan things Vor mehr als einem Jahr
greenanon commented…
Yes Du can -_- did Du not see the picture? Vor mehr als einem Jahr
Vor mehr als einem Jahr nmdis said…
angelic
Guys please don't get me wrong I support this forum but from 2 days I am asking peoples to rate my stuffs because I suddenly lost 2 fanatics from 2 clubs randomly. I didn't unfanned them I don't know how it happened. So I am doing this. I hope you'll forgive me.
emerald_32 commented…
Du were on those Clubs and Du were active there. Du earned them fair and square so losing them just like that is just rude. Your reasons are acceptable, I guess. Vor mehr als einem Jahr
nmdis commented…
Thanks Vor mehr als einem Jahr
Vor mehr als einem Jahr YearZero said…
To be honest, if you are struggling to earn medals rightfully, it is not worth pushing your limits just to earn one.
nmdis commented…
I know right. And I think Du should work in those Clubs who Du truly love. Vor mehr als einem Jahr
Vor mehr als einem Jahr AppleFangirl said…
I've been in fanpop for a while now and I've never gotten a medal (I don't really post content) but now I don't even want one because so many people cheat.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr truth76 said…
I don't like earning medals like that even if I make fake accounts, I'll never vote for my icon or my content because I want see others liking my stuff not myself.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr seanro said…
I like the 4 🏅’s and I like the 4th one because it’s the cutest of them all.
I like the 🥉one because it’s the strongest of them all,I like the 🥈because it’s the smartest of them all and 🥇because it’s the bravest of them all.