Royal Pains Boris Vs the hai / Possible spoiler if I'm right.

Councilman posted on Jul 24, 2009 at 05:12PM
Using my detective skills and as a investigative reporter and some imagination too I think I got the whole Shark research thing figured out.
Boris has a rare form of cancer and is looking for a cure in the liver of the shark. Although it could be some other part I have a vague recollection of something like that.
 Using my detective skills and as a investigative reporter and some imagination too I think I got th

Royal Pains 22 Antworten

Click here to write a response...
Vor mehr als einem Jahr hankmedfan said…
cool
I think you're close. The epigonal organ has to do with the immune system of the shark (and skates) and could mean that Boris (if he's the one that's sick) has some form of cancer or (did Katie or Hank mention a CD4 count?) something related to HIV (though I personally think that's unlikely because Boris seems healthy otherwise). Also, Hank mentioned elevated CPK levels which refers to elevated Creatine PhosphoKinase (an enzyme released when there's muscular damage to the heart, skeletal muscles or brain). Not so unusual since he did a stress test the day before his labs were drawn (maybe meant to throw us off track). SO MYSTERIOUS!
Vor mehr als einem Jahr Councilman said…
The epigonal organ is exactly what I was trying to remember it seems to be the mechanism in by which sharks resist cancer.
Don't forget that Boris came back clean on the basic blood tests which should have detected any gross abnormality. But then he did take off and his blood that Hank wanted more tests done on vanished from the hospital. Curious.
last edited Vor mehr als einem Jahr
wink
If you remember when hank was telling Boris of the blood test results he mentioned that Boris had an elevated CPK level. Well having nothing but time I checked it out and found this; When the total CPK level is very high, it usually means there has been injury or stress to the heart, the brain, or muscle tissue. For example, when a muscle is damaged, CPK leaks into the bloodstream. Determining which specific form of CPK is high helps doctor's determine which tissue has been damaged.
Hank said that other than his workout he had no other factors indicating muscle damage. So stay tuned till we get to see our MacGyver style hero doctor save him later on.
There are other things that can be the cause of the damage to the muscles, heart, brain, and skeletal muscle. i don't know if it could be caused by cancer but who knows.
I do know that so far our hero has found the cause and cured everyone he's worked on except the Billionaire and that doesn't count because had Hank been with him when he went south he might have saved him too.
 If Du remember when hank was telling Boris of the blood test results he mentioned that Boris had an
smirk
I agree with you Councilman! I expect Hank to save Boris one day! What an interesting character he is too (Boris), so many possibilities there. But his illness would be better played out over several seasons.
I would like to see the beauty that Hank saved at Boris' home (first episode) came back and put more fire into the Hank-Jill-Charlie triangle (wasn't she supposed to wait a month to see if she still loved Hank? For some reason, her name escapes me.)
Vor mehr als einem Jahr HillaryC said…
I don't know a dog gone thing about medicine and the two of you lost me early on but I can think some still. What if Boris has muscle damage from cancer and that released the CPK thingy into his blood?
I agree our home depot trained hero will have to save Boris with a roll of duck tape an aspirin some Spackle and a new coat of paint. After all he used the worlds fastest setting rubber cement to remove thorns from Charlie Casey and it didn't even seem to hurt.
Just one thing what is Spackle my better half came up with it and won't tell me what it is.
smirk
Hillary good one. I don't know if your idea is possible but from what I have read I have no idea. I'll have to confer with my colleague hankmedfan to see if we concur. lol
By the way Spackle is a brand named product used to repair small holes, defects, and cracks in drywall, wood and plaster and comes premixed or in dry form and you mix it with water and apply with a putty knife. Kind of like Nancy Pelosi puts on her makeup. lol
Just kidding Spackle only works on small cracks. lol Sorry I couldn't resist.
 Hillary good one. I don't know if your idea is possible but from what I have read I have no idea. I'l
smile
Hi HilaryC and Councilman,
You two are hilarious LOL! Generally, statins (antilipidemics) can elevate CPK, some viruses, and some genetic factors as well, but the main cause is muscle tissue damage. There are three kinds of CPK levels that can be measured, and they each relate to a specific area of damage, CPK-1 (brain & lung), CPK-2 (heart), and CPK-3 (skeletal muscles). By testing which type is elevated, the search for the cause can begin. I had to look up the CPK-Cancer link and found that elevated CPK-1 might indicate a brain tumor. (The mystery continues...)
smirk
Elevated CPK-1 for a brain tumor would leave Hank out of the loop when it comes to treatment although he did drill into Will's head in "no man is an Island. not only that but he some knew without so much as an x-ray exactly where to make the hole to release the blood pressing on his brain.
I don't think we'll find out anything tonight other than maybe enough to add to the mystery,
hmmm
Thanks Councilman now I know what Spackle is, and thanks for the picture of it in action. I have seen that picture before but for real I thought it was a picture from a wax museum or Halloween mask. lol. Sure wouldn't want to run into that on a dark night. Talk about the living dead.
I did some checking and some heart medication is in the form of statins to reduce blood cholesterol levels and if like hankmedfan says it causes the CPK thing to show up couldn't it give a false indication of a heart attack? Like you guys are doctors or something. Where's Hank when you need him? lol.
Vor mehr als einem Jahr NurseNancy said…
Did anyone else catch the bit about Boris' family history and the death of his father, grandfather, and I think, his great-grandfather near the age Boris is approaching? I guess there are mysteries still to be revealed in that medical history in German.
Can anyone connect THAT with the CPK elevation?
And the shark thing.....what's that connection?
It wouldn't be HIV because they made too much of the family history and each of the male ancestors dying at about Boris' age and WAY before HIV came along. It has to be something hereditary which, although it doesn't exclude cancer, it seriously knocks the liklihood down.
What about Huntington's? Except that Hank wouldn't be able to miraculously cure it....no matter how many paper clips or rolls of duct tape he had.
smirk
NurseNancy nice name. if you do a little research into possible diseases and Hanks record to date you will find that it has to be something rare and or obscure and curable by Hank with something either from his tool box or kitchen junk drawer. All I know for sure it that what ever the problem the solution will in part come from either Home Depot or a sporting goods store.
 NurseNancy nice name. if Du do a little research into possible diseases and Hanks record to datum Du
Home Depot? A Sporting goods store? You are wrong C-Man! I see it this way Hank discovers what ever it is that's wrong with Boris and at that minute he gets a call from Jill who just got a call from a woman who's husband is having a health crisis at the local refuse disposal disposal site (City dump)and while there Hank sees something shiny sticking out from under a pile of Garbage. He recovers it cleans it and later uses it to cure Boris in some spectacular fashion while Jill is forced to assist in the emergency operation because Divya and Evan have both turned off their phones because they are. What was you called it C-Man? Oh yes doing the horizontal hula. Later when Hank asks why neither answered their phone s they simultaneously say dead battery looking sheepish.
And that's how Hank and Jill save Boris with a piece of junk from the dump. Oh yes they have to remove his uvula too. I don't know why I just wanted to say uvula because some may thinks, Do men even have one?
smirk
Alright Hill baby lets take one item at a time. First I'm not sure we can take an unidentified item found at the dump seriously. At least in the past we named the goof items even if we didn't specify what they'd be used for. But I guess it's all the same so forget that. Now let's move on to the question of the uvula. We know Libby has an extra large one according to her and yes everyone has one but I have never heard of having to have one removed except for possibly cancer or something. And I agree it's fun to say because it does sound like something other than what it is and where it's found. I'd bet more than a few have looked it up, and for that alone I salute your post, even though it's way one out there. But then that's where we have been taking it.
How about this. It's a curse from an 18th century German nobleman who in the course of a dual lost his mistress who was a bystander at the dual. The curse was forgotten because in the late 18th and early 19th century dying at and early age was common place and records weren't kept very well. Hank after running every possible test runs across a old book on curses and the name von Jurgens-Ratenicz and through cross referencing the name through a great number of books on the paranormal finds it's not a physical ailment and a medium is called in to rid Boris of the curse.
What? It could happen. Don't you listen to Coast to Coast AM every night 7 days a week? It's everything from the Hollow earth to Space Aliens and every other weird thing you can think of. It comes on at 10:00PM Pacific Time.

Phone home.
 Alright hügel baby lets take one item at a time. First I'm not sure we can take an unidentified item f
Vor mehr als einem Jahr BondJBond said…
You two at it again playing can you top this with outlandish ideas? At least we have NurseNancy to bring some semblance of sanity to this topic. But sanity is not as much fun is it.
So here's what I think what is going to happen is Hank will find that Boris's Great Great Grandfather was a famous German explorer in the mid 19th century and during a joint German and Canadian expedition to the hither to unexplored northern portion of Iceland became stranded for two weeks because of a freak ice storm and they team was forced to live off of the meat of the no extinct Great Auk, (genus Alca). It was the only species in the genus Pinguinus - a group of birds that included several flightless giant auks from the Atlantic Ocean region - to survive until modern times. Well the eating of these giant birds produced a neurotoxin in the blood that was past on from father to son. And the only possible cure is to try to use portions of a stuffed Auk to clone a living example using a Penguin as a surrogate so that a vaccine can be developed and thereby save Boris. Also recreating living Auks to repopulate vast areas it once called home.
Once Hank completes this he's awarded the Nobel prize for Medicine and name category created just for him in zoology.
And that's how Hank saves Boris.
Behold the Great Auk. Life giver even in it's extinction.
 Du two at it again playing can Du oben, nach oben this with outlandish ideas? At least we have NurseNancy to b
007 you have clearly been diving head first into the shallow end of the pool. The Great Auk? Why not have them survive on the frozen body of a Woolly Mammoth at least they have found an in tact one with DNA a plenty, and they could use an Elephant as the surrogate or host mom. Wow I have to give it to you for being totally obscure, original, creative and just plain goofy. But I think you may have won this round. I thought Hillary was stretching with a piece of junk from the dump but this maybe better than that and my curse. Darn it all. I'll come with something.
smirk
I have it. While on his way home from a socialite's party about 3:00AM hanks car just quits running and coasts to a stop in a remote location. As Hank is cursing at his car he hears a low hum and looks around but there is nothing to be seen all the way around him other than a few lights in the distance. He gets a strange quizzical look on his face as he slowly looks straight up over head, and there directly above him is a glowing shiny disk slowly revolving and coming closer. As he tries to talk nothing comes out and suddenly a beam of green light envelopes him and begins to pull him up into the craft. Once inside a being that looks almost exactly the same as we do except for a large straight flat forehead walks over and says. Welcome Mr. Lawson I'm sorry we had to meet under these circumstances but it is an emergency and we need your help. Hank is taken into another location and there on the table is another Alien only he's greenish and moaning, holding both his head and abdomen and slightly rolling back and forth. What we need Mr. Lawson is for you to help us determine what is the matter with our colleague, we have never encountered anything such as this in the past. We are able to cure any of the normal illnesses our kind contract but we have never come across anything such as this before. Hank asks a number of questions and after his examination he turns to his host and says: "I think it's the H1N1 flu". The flu asks his host and Hank explain what it is and how to treat the reflected Alien and gives him two aspirin. Only hours go by and the patient begins to recover almost miraculously. Hank informs his host that he'll be back to normal on a day or two and hands over the aspirin and tells them how to avoid catching this and other earth diseases. They return Hank to where his car is and the leader of the Aliens thanks Hank and asks him not to tell anyone what he has seen. Hank assures him that no one would believe him anyway and the man gives Hank a small electric device and says: "They will if they ever see this". Hank looks at it a says: "What is it?" and is told it is a device that can cure any number of diseases other than viruses because they have never encountered them before. Hank is instructed on its use and the is taken to the room he first came in to and is returned to his car, which fires right up and the Alien ship zooms off.
The next day Hank is examining Boris and has him lay face down and them places the device in the small of Boris' back and turns it on Boris asks: "What is that it tingles." Hank tells him it's an electric charge to stimulate the nervous system to react to what Hank suspects what is wrong. The next day Hank runs a series of tests and all the blood work comes back normal and notices that Boris' beard and hair have become less gray over night. With in a week Boris looks 10 years younger and is completely cured. He is so happy that he gives Hank an envelope saying: "Here's a little bonus for you Hank." Hank opens it and inside is a cashiers check for $1,000,000.
Upon arriving back at home Hank hands the check over to Evan who simply faints.
(Fade to black)
 I have it. While on his way Home from a socialite's party about 3:00AM hanks car just quits running a
smirk
I was going to bypass this thread this time but I noticed it had 666 views and being a long time reporter & researcher and religious beliefs into the paranormal I couldn't let the number stand knowing the connotation and significance some people attribute to 666.

On another note, since I'm here I think my last scenario with out challenge for 4 days is the champ. At least for now. So take that Great Auk. I still can't believe that, but then I guess it takes a lot of guts to say that after some of my posts.
smirk
Okay my friends we have had a great deal of fun trying to figure out how Hank is going to save Boris and what unusual items he might use in the process and all the time the Nation and the world is being frightened by H1N1 that has proven so far to be no worse than the normal flu that comes every year. Now I have said from the outset there are political reasons having nothing to do with health considerations behind all the hype. Then I was trying to think of a new solution for Boris and I got this picture in an email and thought I have to share this with my friends at Fanpop. I have no idea who did it only that to me it's hilarious to the max. The title is Swine flu paranoia.
 Okay my Friends we have had a great deal of fun trying to figure out how Hank is going to save Boris
Vor mehr als einem Jahr BondJBond said…
Wow I figured I'd come here to see if you were able to out do my Great Auk idea and damned if you didn't go off the reservation and out of this world for that one. C-Man you have got some goofy imagination. Not only did you come up with a cure but a whole story to go with it. It's almost as good as the episode you wrote for Psych a few months back. I still think that was great. So congrats on a freaky story, and look there have been 700 plus hits and still only a little over 100 fans. Not to shabby.
I think it's up to NurseNancy to come up with something to out do you know. I'm running on empty. But I think she's into more serious things than Aliens.
I think the Swine flu paranoia is hilarious too. Looks like Piglet's in quarantine until further notice. I can't stop laughing.

Vor mehr als einem Jahr HouseJr said…
Wow you guys are so funny, I very much enjoyed reading all of your posts. Wish I would have found his forum back when, would have been so cool and I know I could have thought up a great scenario.
BTW C-Man's was the best!!!