Msyugioh123 Annual TCBDD Art Zeigen a success

msyugioh123 posted on Apr 01, 2011 at 09:47PM
i well be on this next year dont spy on me check comment on this link
link
Annual TCBDD Art Show a success
AAA

(L-R) Doris Schumacher, Delores Bonecutter, and Sammy Carruthers-Thornton show off some of their artwork, which was featured at the annual Tuscarawas County Board of Developmental Disabilities Art Show, March 12, at the Tuscarawas County Center for the Arts. The art was auctioned off, with proceeds benefiting TCCA and TCBDD, as well as the individual artist.

Teri Stein

Sammy Carruthers-Thornton holds some of the pieces she created for the Tuscarawas County Board of Developmental Disabilities Art Show at the Tuscarawas County Center for the Arts.

Teri Stein
By Teri Stein

Seeing the beaming faces of the artists, who happen to have disabilities, was as much of a reward as the brisk sales of their artwork at the artist’s reception held on Saturday, March 12.

More than 150 pieces of colorful art, featuring oil and watercolor paintings, papier-mâché, and sewing projects, among other creations, were on display at the annual Tuscarawas County Board of Developmental Disabilities (TCBDD) Art Show held at the Tuscarawas County Center for the Arts (TCCA) in New Philadelphia last week.

“It’s always a pleasure to hang this show. It’s interesting to see how they see the world and how their view and vision comes out,” said Jeannine Kennedy, director of the TCCA. “It’s always enjoyable to see them see their work. They get so excited. Hanging their art in the gallery gives it the respect it deserves.”

Small to large-size oil paintings sold from $20 to $75, and many other popular projects were reasonably priced, most starting at a few dollars. The sale of art at the show helps the community, as a portion of the cost will go to support the TCCA. A portion will go to pay the artist for their work and a portion will be used to purchase new art materials for the TCBDD art program.

Selling their work gives the individuals a feeling of satisfaction. “I like being able to make art and sell it,” said Delores Bonecutter, who added that she enjoys working on art more than some of the other jobs she performs at Starlight Enterprises Inc. (SEI).

“I did good,” said Bonecutter, who created an abstract watercolor painting entitled Bird On A Wire. “I got my picture sold already. I’m happy for it.”

More opportunities for the individuals to sell their art will become available when the TCBDD opens the new Service and Support Center later this year. More space will be available to feature their art, which will be for sale year-round. The TCBDD also supported the artists by buying a number of pieces to be used in decorating the new center.

Candice Eckhardt, of New Philadelphia, who works at a local group home, purchased a framed piece of string art entitled Fall Frost, made by Kristina Chambers. “I brought some consumers down yesterday. I thought everything was so wonderful I came back today to buy,” said Eckhardt. “I love the colors and the glitter,” she commented about the piece she plans to hang in her living room.

Monna Garver was impressed with the talents of her daughter, Wendy, and the show. Wendy’s framed watercolor painting entitled Posey Pots was one of the first to be sold. “It shows their talents and the work that they are capable of doing,” said Garver.

The art program has proven to be very popular. The individuals served by the TCBDD relish the opportunity to demonstrate their creativity, artistic talents, and abilities through art. They enjoy being able to show their hidden talents, which remained untapped before the addition of the art program.

This was the third year for the show, which is held each year in March in conjunction with Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month. This year’s theme is Together…We Accomplish More, a theme which encourages people to understand that when individuals with disabilities are part of the community everyone wins.

Everyone was pleased with the show, and that approximately two-thirds of the art was sold. For those who missed the show, the remaining works will be available for sale at SEI, 638 Commercial Ave. SW in New Philadelphia, from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
last edited on Apr 02, 2011 at 03:09PM

Msyugioh123 2 Antworten

Click here to write a response...
Vor mehr als einem Jahr StarGirl1721 said…
mischievous
COOL
Vor mehr als einem Jahr haruna614 said…
smile
Great !