First a little introduction, I have every intention of seeing this movie, but here are my personal judgments of this movie based on the controversies surrounding it, trailers and so forth. Since i like to end on a happy note, we'll start with the bad.
5. THE pRINCESS: When I first saw this trailer i was thinking "how the hell can a black waitress from New Orleans in the 20's be a princess? but the Mehr trailers that got released i slowly realized that Tiana isn't actually a princess at all, at least not Von birth anyway, suddenly the whole she turns into a frog thing made allot Mehr sense. But why does it have to take place so recently? to me fairy tales always took place in no particular time, and if they did it was a long time ago, but Hey i guess they wanna say that fairy tales can take place any time anywhere, but if your going to have it take place so recently, can't Du AT LEAST make it historically accurate? i'v got news for Du writers, Tiana is NOT a name people had back then, i know all those pc nut bars sagte that the name "Maddie" was racist, but there are SO many other names Du could've gone with like, Elizabeth, Kate, Jean, Betty? Veronica? SOMETHING OTHER THEN TIANA! Also if they wanted to make an African princess why didn't they use an African story? Why would they go with one from europe?
4. THE CONTROVERSY: My god, the controversy surrounding this film is AMAZING. Like wow, where do i begin? First off, how is the name Maddie racist? I mean it's short for Madiline, right? so? so what? another thing that was "racist" was making our lead a maid. Again, how? I mean Snow White was, Aschenputtel was. Oh i see if a white girl is a maid it's totally fine, but a black girl no no no. THATS racist! Also allot of people thought the prince was white, and that that was also racist, well first of all he's not and second, how is supporting mixed race couples racist and condemning them not, when did that happen.
3. THE ARROGANCE: for as many people who think this movie is the devils work, there are just as many who think it was crafted from the hands of Jesus Christ himself. The biggest thing is that it's Disney's first black princess. Maybe so, but i have a few things to say about that. First of all why wasn't this much fuss made over Disney's first arabian princess, oder chinese? I mean non white heros and heroines in Disney Filme is NOT a new thing. Also have Du seen those interviews they do with the guys who worked on the film? They all talk about it like its the Weiter Citizen Kane. For example, have Du noticed how they always say "Tiana's going to be the strongest princess yet, she's not waiting around for some prince". Now lets analyze this, shall we? Now I'm going to assume they mean strong character wise in development. Well aren't all the princesses strong and developed characters? The best examples i can think of are Belle, Cinderella, Ariel and Mulan. Those are just the first that come to mind. And the whole "waiting around for her prince", okay i think were gonna need a princess rundown.
Lets start with Snow White. Did she wait around for her prince? well yeah, but she was asleep. And throughout the rest of the movie, even though she wasn't as feminine as later heroines, she was still a very active character, in fact she didn't even think about her prince that much. Next
Cinderella: She always dreamed of love, but she was never really looking for it. Her main motivation to go to the ball was to just have fun, falling in Liebe was just icing on the cake. And her prince definitely did not save her, she saved herself, with help from the mice of coarse, okay ALOT of help. Then came
Aurora: probably the least active one, but the Filme not exactly about her,she's a big part of it but it's really about the fairies. She did need to be rescued, but again she was under a spell. Weiter Ariel: She was one of the most active characters, she was weak and naive, but not helpless. But being inexperienced with life just makes her Mehr relatable. Weiter we'll do
Jasmine: allot like Ariel she was witty and felt trapped, but wasn't even really looking for a prince charming, like at all. lets go on to
Belle: Belle is great, she's full of personality and never needed saving.
Mulan: do i even have to say anything
pocahntas: another strong character who actually saved HER prince, and she never even dreamed of love, just excitement. She didn't even really get a happily ever after.
2. THE SILLINESS: anyone who's seen clips from the movie can tell it's got some crazy over the oben, nach oben jokes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, some Filme were able to pull that off. Hercules hat some honestly funny jokes, but it didn't try and take itself too seriously. It knew what it was doing, and turned out as an all around just fun movie. The heros were fun, the villain was fun, the Musik was fun and it worked. Also Mulan has some great jokes, and they were able to mix the funny with seriousness and it worked. But thats hard to do, i mean just look at Aladdin. The jasmin and Aladin Liebe story is trying to push threw, but its just being bombarded with over the oben, nach oben humor and its distracting, especially since Robin Williams was the genie.
1. THE VOICE: Why? why does every animated film need to be starring all kinds of celebrity's. I mean it could be worse, they could have casted Beyoncé oder something dumb but like why? Look at classic Disney, they never casted big stars, and they never promoted the hell out of the actors either. They kept it a secret so that there was an element of Mystery. But it seems no animated film these days can escape that. Now for some good things
5. TRADITIONAL ANIMATION: My god is it a breath of fresh air to see a movie done like that. My hope is that this film will kick off yet another Disney renaissance with traditionally animated films. It's sad that it seems to be fading, hate to say it but the only studio that can make CG look good is pixar, Shrek IS OVERRATED!
4. A GREAT LOOK: this movie seems to leap off the screen whenever i see a trailer, which is Mehr that can be sagte for most trailers these days
3. MARKETING TO KIDS: Whens the last time Du saw a trailer for a kids movie that actually looked good and/or intelligent? It's nice to see someone taking kids seriously again.
2. THE MUSIC: well what can i say, judging Von what i've seen it sounds good
1. NOT CHICKENING OUT: lets face it, since the controversy started they have backed down and changed the heroines name, her occupation and motivation. But they didn't change the location oder the idea of using voodoo, two things they complained about the most.
So there Du go,my ramblings, some of Du might call it nit picking, but i call it sh*t picking.
Racist Not Racist