Arthur und Gwen Re-watching Merlin 2x01 - "The Curse of Cornelius Sigan"

ellarose88 posted on Jun 15, 2013 at 12:52AM
Welcome back to our Merlin re-watch. We have all had the opportunity to re-watch series 1 with a whole new perspective. We saw how the characters were at the beginning and the journeys they all faced in series 1. Now it is time to continue our journey and re-watch series 2 and see how our perspectives might change seeing as we know how the story ends. (Thanks to the folks over at tvdotcom for ideas we’ve borrowed from them.)

Moderators for Season 2:
Ellarose88
HumbleQueen
Sportyshuie

[others...]

Rules are as follows:

I. We are getting started with 2x01 on Saturday, June 15, 2013 and a new forum will be opened every following Saturday. Moderators will post following the order in the list above to open threads and we’ll be watching the episodes in sequence. We will then be watching the last episode of Season 2 (2x13) on the week beginning September 7th.

II. Every moderator opening a re-watching thread should copy and paste the information in this entry (Introduction, List of moderators and Rules) at the top. That way, keeping track of the turns and our progress will be easier and also having the rules at hand will be useful for those who may have decided to join us part way through.

III. Everyone opening a re-watching thread is responsible for reminding the next person in the list to do the same the following Saturday (sending a pm on Friday should do it).

IV. Anyone not being able to open a thread on a particular Saturday can swap turns with the next person in the list (or anyone else) as long as they keep track of their respective turns.

V. People taking part can jump in with comments, but just because you watch and comment on a particular episode does not mean it’s compulsory to watch every single episode to be a part of this re-watching.

VI. Anyone is most welcome to join at any time. Also, new moderators will be added to the list when we get them.

VII. If you don’t have dvd’s or subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime, the first four seasons are available free (with ads) on hulu: link

Also famfan suggested www.cokeandpopcorn.eu/watch-merllin­-oon­­­li­n­­­e.­­p­h­­p

VIII. Constructive criticism of characters/actors is always in order, but please no bashing.

IX. Let’s have fun down memory lane. Be inspired to do fanfics, fanvids, and fanart.

X. Each week the moderator will post questions/headings and suggestions for people to discuss about the episode, the plot, the characters and relationships. Don't feel pressured to answer every question/headings, answer the questions you want. Feel free to add anything about the episode, even if it isn't mentioned. It's more than welcomed!

Now let's start the re-watch for Merlin Series 2 with The Curse of Cornelius Sigan....
 Welcome back to our Merlin re-watch. We have all had the opportunity to re-watch series 1 with a whol
last edited on Jun 16, 2013 at 11:56AM

Arthur und Gwen 6 Antworten

Click here to write a response...
Vor mehr als einem Jahr ellarose88 said…
Here are the questions/headings and suggestions for discussions:

+ Best moment(s):
+ Worst moment(s):
+ Favourite quote(s):
+ Your thoughts on the villain of the week:
+ Best character development:
+ Best duo development:
+ Your thoughts on the plot progression and conclusion:
+ Anything else:

Things you might discuss:

+ Do you think that Arthur trusted Cedric too quickly and was wrong not to trust Merlin after the loyalty he has shown Arthur the past year?

+ Any plot holes? Like why does it seem really easy for people to take Arthur's keys and steal precious artifacts?

+ Do you think that there was any interaction between Arthur and Gwen during the time between series 1 and 2? What did you think of their first scenes together in this episode?

+ What did you think of Arthur/Merlin's friendship throughout the episode?

So there are the headings and suggestions for you to discuss after you watch the episode. Like it says in the post, you don't have to use all the headings or suggestions, feel free to discuss anything about the episode.

Have fun!
last edited Vor mehr als einem Jahr
Vor mehr als einem Jahr sportyshuie said…
Will watch it tonight and respond ... Can't wait
ellarose88 commented…
Can't wait to read your responses! Vor mehr als einem Jahr
MISAforever commented…
Me too!!! :D I'll do it in a few days! Vor mehr als einem Jahr
MISAforever commented…
I was really planning to do this today but I am sooo exhausted I'm barely keeping my eyes open. But I'm taking a Tag off ( to study) tomorrow, so I'll do it then!! Vor mehr als einem Jahr
Vor mehr als einem Jahr HumbleQueen said…
I want to apologize. I haven't been feeling well for a few days...Hip pain, etc. but I'm trying to watch it tonight. Hope I can respond tomorrow; at least partially. I already know the best moment for me. And maybe the worst. See you soon hopefully.
MISAforever commented…
aww I am so sorry to hear that! hope Du feel better soon! xxoo <3333 Vor mehr als einem Jahr
sportyshuie commented…
Get well soon nanna ... Liebe Du .. Vor mehr als einem Jahr
Vor mehr als einem Jahr HumbleQueen said…
Finally, I have something to say about this episode which I thoroughly enjoyed.

+ Best moment(s):
Of course my favorite moment was Arwen. It was when we for sure and certain see a gleam in the prince’s eye for this little servant girl. After she saves his life (twice!) and falls on top of him (LOL) and they walk inside to treat his wounds, then we have it. That’s why I don’t get the complaint about episode 2 being so sudden with the romance. After the scene in 1x10, and then 1x13, and then this, I don’t get it. It was made clear in this episode that he was totally smitten, but nothing had been said yet, nothing had transpired. Just the phase when two people are aware of each other.

+ Worst moment(s):
When Merlin was in the stable with horse dung on his face and how Arthur ridiculed him.

Actually, I thought he was pretty funny, especially in the woods when he was so scared of that monster creature. Then he cleverly turned it around and grabbed the moment. He wasn’t particularly scary IMO. He really worked the Merlin thing, but to me he was amusing. I wasn’t upset with him as much as with Arthur.

+ Best duo development:
Well, Arwen of course.

I thought the thing with Merlin and Cedric at the end was confusing. I didn't get it. What exactly did the Great Dragon tell Merlin to do and what did he actually do with Cedric there and what happened with those birds. I guess they all died but for me it was dumb. And Merlin and Gaius smiling at the end with all those dead bodies around turned me off. And what in the world did Arthur call himself doing and once again, he was conveniently knocked out. In other words, the conclusion left something to be desired for me but I did enjoy it all in all.

IDiscussion:

+ Do you think that Arthur trusted Cedric too quickly and was wrong not to trust Merlin after the loyalty he has shown Arthur the past year?
Of course I think that! It was so bad as to be totally unrealistic. No one would have trusted anyone that quickly and turned on the person they knew as abruptly as that. I thought it was very poor writing at its worst.

+ Any plot holes? Like why does it seem really easy for people to take Arthur's keys and steal precious artifacts?
I know, right? That’s just too ridiculous. Plot hole indeed.

+ Do you think that there was any interaction between Arthur and Gwen during the time between series 1 and 2? What did you think of their first scenes together in this episode?
I’m sure after the bedside events in the finale of Season 1 we are to imagine there was quite a lot of looking between the two, blushing, that sort of thing. No real interaction because of the scene I talked about above.

Horrible. Just horrible on the part of Arthur. I have no words. This was him misusing Merlin at its worst of the whole series.

I really enjoyed watching this. I was lying on my back in pain watching on my Kindle Fire, and it cheered me up a lot. I did a lot of laughing, even though I felt really sorry for Merlin. Uther didn't even make me angry in this one and there was little Morgana, which was fine with me.
MISAforever commented…
I agree about Uther and Morgana!! I hope your pain will be gone soon!! xx Vor mehr als einem Jahr
Vor mehr als einem Jahr sportyshuie said…
smile
Best moment(s):
- Arwen. Yup, nothing else works for me in this episode because frankly speaking i was expecting something here. After that expectation they stirred in season 1, i really wanted a progress and we got one. I have to thank the gargoyle for this ... LOL!

Worst moment(s):
- Each time Arthur ridicules Merlin. Yes, i hated it. I love Merlin and after all he had done for Arthur, he still doesnt get appreciated. It sucked to watch.

Favourite quote(s):
- Gwen, you never cease to amuse me ...

Your thoughts on the villain of the week:
- Suits the storyline. I liked him from Pirates of the Carribean and it was a freshing change to see him in Merlin. Funny and at the same time, cunning, he was good.

Best character development:
- Arwen.

Best duo development:
- Arwen too ...

Your thoughts on the plot progression and conclusion:
- I agree with Nanna ... i think it was rushed. I dont see the logic behind the great dragon's power to Merlin, the return of Cornelius Sigan is supposed to be a great thing but it fell flat just like the gargoyles, then Morgana's dream had no connection at all except for the crow, and Uther once again hiding inside his castle like a coward sending his son to battle, Merlin and sigan's battle is cartoonish ... clueless.
The only thing that made sense was arwen ... thank god for that.

Vor mehr als einem Jahr MISAforever said…
+Best moment:
Arthur and Guinevere scene. Slow progress from where they stopped in season 1. There was no big moment, no overwhelming statement, but simply them. And they were amazing! They started to see each other differently. They were so sweet and adorable and still unaware of what they were beginning to feel.

+ Worst moment:
I agree with both of you. I hated when Arthur disrespected Merlin, even though they tried to make it funny, and in the start it was. But when I looked deeper in that relationship, being disrespectful was something they had to exceeded by then. I also didn't like how Arthur trusted Cedric too easily. He always had a trust issues: not trusted those he should and trusted those he shouldn't. And in the beginning of season 1 that could be forgiven. But that was a massive flaw through all show. I ain't forgiving that!

+ Favourite quote:
Arthur: Guinevere. I wanted to say... just, erm... you always surprise me.
Gwen: Is that it, Sire?
Arthur: That's it. Oh, and, erm... thank you.

Arthur: There are people trapped on the drawbridge. I'm not leaving them to die.
Uther: It's suicide!
Arthur: It's my duty to Camelot, and to myself.

Merlin: I just want Arthur to trust me. And to see me for who I really am.
Gaius: One day he will.
Merlin: When? Everything I do is for him and he just thinks I'm an idiot.

I didn't like him. Not at all. But not because of the actor, but probably because I have a problem with people who prosper not caring about the other among them. Though I'll admit he was funny. But to me it was more "tragically" funny. I felt really bad for Merlin.

+ Best character development:
I'd say Arthur because he stood up to Uther and showed once more just how much he cared about his people. But the clotpole he was to Merlin though all the episode, nope, I cannot get pass that.
So maybe Gwen, cause she showed the other, more courageous side of her.

+ Best duo development:
Arthur and Guinevere. Because it takes one small scene like that to make them blossom! That is how good they are!

I agree with both of you, again. They started good, but the end seemed rushed. To win against someone so powerful that easy was, well stupid!

I already answered this, but here it goes again. Hell yes!! I think a prince should not trust anyone like that, especially not someone who he met for the first time. I also think that it was unrealistic that someone can come into a contact with royality just like that. And also be granted a position as a royal servant served on a plate. That that was massive plot hole! Also Arthur and Merlin have bonded a lot in season 1 and I don't think they should start a new season like this, a complete direspect and distrust.

The one I mentioned above! It was simply ridiculous.

I don't believe they started hanging around, but ever since Eldor there has been a change in the dynamics of their relationship. She wasn't just another servant to him and she saw he had a good heart. And that was enough by that point. I loved the slow progress.

I didn't like it. I wouldn't even call it friendship. And it was that. Arthur should have trusted him so much more. But it wasn't just trust, it was the whole behaviour towards Merlin. It really annoyed me. But if Arthur had actually learnt something, it might have been worth it. But as the show progressed he did the same thing over and over again. And that was disrespectful towards Arthur's character.
 +Best moment: Arthur and Guinevere scene. Slow progress from where they stopped in season 1. There